Friday, August 7, 2009

Happy Birthday Singapore

9t of Aug is Singapore National Day, Happy Birthday Singapore.

Suddenly fee a bit lost about my root, where I belong to. Have lived in Malaysia for 20 years, USA for 5 years and Singapore for almost 10 years.

I don’t feel I belong to Malaysia. This is a country I feel shame of most of the time. Sometime, I tell myself, I hate this country. I rather it to be destroyed.

I don’t feel I belong to USA. This is the country I love most but I am just a passenger for it.

I don’t feel I belong to Singapore. I am just a PR here and I am not yet a citizen. Sometime, I feel I am a outsider in this country.

Of course, I don’t feel I am belonging to China. A country where my grandparents came from. People are same face, some color and speak the same language as me. But is not the country I born and grew up with.

Don’t tell me I am Malaysian so I should love my country. I know I need to love my country but is this country love me and need me? Sorry, I am Chinese. So, I don’t think my country needs me.

Most of the time I feel that I really don’t know my country at all. When people ask me to sing the National Song, the song come out from my mouth is Singapore National Song. Sorry to tell that, these 2 songs are in Malay, for me, they are the same because I don’t understand the meaning of the songs. Not even 1 sentence.

I can’t remember which date is my country birthday. I just know is may be on 30th or 31st Aug or 30th Sep. Sometime I confuse what colors are in my country’s flag: red, blue, green, yellow and etc? 13 or 14 stars. 1 star represented 1 state. Together with Singapore are 14 stars? I am really not sure.

I feel I am know Singapore more. When I was a child, from TV, I know the people, the culture, the living style, the songs and many many more.

I still remember I loved to watch the show in Singapore National Day. I remember all the Singapore National Day Song like:
We Are Singapore
Stand Up for Singapore
One People, One Nation, One Singapore
Count On Me, Singapore

However, I don’t know any song about my country, not even the National Song.


I am confuse, where should I belong to? Maybe put in this way, I belong to the Earth and the Universe.

The last: My favor Singapore National Day Song is 家/Home from Kit Chan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9X7LKW7WuY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTkVG6lWvwY

7 comments:

moufat said...

There is a very good reason why you remember the Singapore National Day songs more than you remember the Malaysian ones - they are just plain boring, mostly with only the same tone to it, not like in Singapore where they get the Singapore idolizers to sing it!

I still love my Malaysia! Happy birthday soon to Malaysia - 31st August! And the country need us! More than ever!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alfie said...

i am not sure if it is worth to spend time and love for a country which it doesn't love and need us.

if we do that, in the end, we may end up with get nothing but disppointment.

moufat said...

That's the meaning of love isnt it? Haha

Alfie said...

for this, i agree. :)

shi mei said...

i happened to write a similar post like what you have here... where is our root?
I love Msia, not bcos it is Msia, cos my family members are all there..

Alfie said...

Shi Mei, but the question is does this country WANTs us?