Friday, January 18, 2008

New Role & New Responsibility

Official announced by Asia Pacific IT head, I take over Global Data Warehouse (GDW) - Asia Pacific from Jan 2008. Good news? Maybe but I am not sure.

I am that kind of person have no ambition in my career. For me, career/job is only a tool for me to earn my living. As long as I am able to get my work done without any problem, I am happy. Difference with others, I never thought about I have to claim to the peak of the mountain in my career. Somehow I do believe spend too much time at work is wasting my life. I rather spend time to do sometime I like and I enjoy. What I want is a simple life and be happy.

Last time when I worked in banks, for me, be the leader (project manager) in charge of GDW is a dream I never able to achieve because he/she must be a very smart and experience person. As I knew, a lot of people eyeing this position in the 3 banks that I worked. However, today unexpectedly I am in position. I never tried to get it but I have it now. Therefore, I am not sure whether this is a good news or a bad news for me.

One thing which I am very sure is I don’t like people address me as The Representative of GDW in Asia Pacific. I am kind of hate it.

2 comments:

brad said...

Your situation is similar to mine. If I get promoted then I will have the responsibility to find funding for me, and potentially others, but that means I would no longer have very much time to do the work because I would move into administration.

Alfie said...

I totally agree with you. Now I spend a lot of time doing administration works and it becomes the 1st priority of my responsibility. Seems like project and user requirement are in 2nd priority.

Personal opinion, I strong disagree with how people prioritize the roles and responsibilities. I believe a delay on update a documentation is not going to harm the organization but it is going to harm the organization when there is a delay on user requirement.

Maybe I am wrong because I’m not in a senior management position and I don’t understand the important of updating a documentation.